The rantings and ravings of the "other" Mann family

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Miss Potter

Last night my mom and me went to the odeon to see Miss Potter. It was a very sweet movie. Sad and funny too. Beatrix Potter had an amazing life. She was defiant of the Victorian way of life, and was an amazing artist. I remember growing up reading her books. My mother passed on her own collection of the books to me. Some of them are very old and ragged...but I love them. Wonderful stories and pictures.

Its funny how I remember the stories I read as a child so vividly. Every book seemed to come to life for me. I can still remember most of the characters and the details, but there are always parts of the stories that are more real than others.
Miss tiggiwinkle (from one of the potter books) I remember most vividly. A little lady hedgehog who did washing. I remember pictures of the washing and her little home. her little black eyes and little dress...soooo cute.

The Brambly Hedge series was another favorite as a child. All the pictures were highly detailed. I used to love to look in wonder at the houses of the little mice in the book. They were written by another English author . . . can't remember who.

I was a voracious reader as a child...I think I still am, only now it goes in waves. I will be crazy about reading for a while and then ...just fall out of it. I think as Christians it is important to keep reading christian authors to challenge and encourage us in our lives. Obviously I think its important to read the word of God too...but somehow it seems harder. I don't know why...maybe because Satan knows that the longer we stay away from it the easier it is for our minds to get sidetracked by the worlds way of thinking about stuff.

At the end of this long post....I just want to challenge all that may read this to read your bible. I know it may be hard, but it is full of food for your soul. If your soul is well fed life will seem less difficult, and important opportunities to shine your light will not pass unnoticed!

No comments: